"Man does not cease to play because he grows old; Man grows old because he ceases to play."
-George Bernard Shaw

Friday, July 6, 2012

Basic Needs

I'm starting to see the dark side of my neighbors.  We're all getting a bit cranky.  We are on day 7 of being without power.  Two nights ago the power trucks managed to find their way to the town house development ONE block up from our homes, turn on their power, and disappear.  Couldn't they drive down the street and take care of us?
My neighbors are in their 70s and 80s.  Two of the families left days ago to stay in a hotel.  We see them each morning as they come to gather newspapers, set out trash, etc.  They want to come home.
I'm home, but it doesn't feel like home.
All of this reminds me of the children in our care.  They have basic needs that must be met in order for them to be successful.
I ask myself and my staff to reflect: are we meeting the basic needs of the children before we place such high expectations on them to succeed?

No comments:

Post a Comment