"Man does not cease to play because he grows old; Man grows old because he ceases to play."
-George Bernard Shaw

Sunday, February 23, 2014

Time Well Spent

Finit!




We have finally completed the final leg of what at times felt like a never-ending journey. This program has taught me the importance of building strong relationships with others because you never know who you may need to turn to for help. I found myself reaching out to colleagues all over the world for help in getting through various assignments. I would not have been able to complete those assignments without their help.

I have also learned the value of life experiences and their impact on our lives. Our courses gave us many opportunities to reflect on our experiences, our life events, and our past learning and connect them to what we were learning in the program. It has indeed been quite eye-opening.

Lastly, I was awakened to becoming an agent of positive social change. Something I had never given much thought to before Walden. I have always been an advocate in small ways, but I now find myself wanting to make greater strides in the field. As I wrote my speech I realized how deeply I really wanted to make it a reality. I have so much to aim for now!

One long term goal I have is what I actually wrote about in my speech. I would like to write a book. I would like to start writing articles for ECE journals in the short term, so look for my name!


FAREWELL!
I have prepared for this moment for almost two years and now I find myself quiet. How do you say good-bye to people who you have relied upon for so long? 

To all of my colleagues and instructors, I thank you for your time. I thank you for your passion. I thank you for your collaboration. I thank you for listening. I thank you for responding. I thank you for your questions. I thank you for your comments and suggestions.

To the wonderful, intelligent ladies of this Capstone course, I thank you for lively and refreshing discussion boards. I am thankful for having had the opportunity to learn from and with you all.

To Dina Corral and Shawna Kushner, thank you for challenging me. You ladies made me go the extra mile and I am grateful for the push.

To Lynda, Mary Jo, Nadia, Melanie, Nina, Sha'Keema, Antowah, Lauren, Tinka, Danielle, Misty, Jennifer, Bethany, and Lorren. I started with you ladies and we pushed each other through some difficult moments. I benefitted in more ways than I can say from you sharing your knowledge and passions. Thank you all!

A very special, heart felt thanks to Tina. You were my rock! Thank you for letting me vent (whine, cry) so many times when I needed to. Thank you for being there for me and with me from the very first day. The summer of terror! We had such a hard time those first few weeks trying to figure out all of those technological hiccups. It was like stumbling in the dark. And for me, I was in the dark. It was the summer of storms and no power! You have inspired me to embrace my granola crunching/fashionista self and go climb mountains. I intend to!

Thank you Dr. Teri for your efforts in providing us with information to get us through the course and all of your support. 

Thank you ALL FOR TIME WELL SPENT!!!

I leave you all with this:




7 comments:

  1. Thank you for being a voice in my classes that I could rely on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mimi,
    BEAUTIFUL! I believe in you and your passion, you will create that book and I'll get to say, "I went to school with her!" I'll be your groupie. You had such wonderful sentiments, I thought all I would be feeling is relief but I'm going to miss it, you and everyone. Keep in touch!!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mimi,
    Love the wordle and encouraging words. I want to wish you the best of luck in your future adventures. I encourage you to continue posting blogs on your future adventure to stay connected. I also want to thank you for your input throughout this course.
    Nina

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mimi,
    I absolutely love your wordle!!! I agree, it is hard to say goodbye. We have collaborated, learned from each other, and shared personal experiences throughout this Master's program. I wish you all the best in your future endeavors, and I look forward to reading the articles and book that I have no doubt you will write!! I hope I have the opportunity to meet you face to face at graduation! Take care and stay in touch!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Michelle, I really really love your wordle...it is awesome to say the least!!! I have learned so much from you and the rest of my colleagues... and I have no doubt that you will write a book or two or three or well you know... :) please keep up the good work and if the good Lord is willing (and I hope and pray that He is) I will definitely be looking for your name on a ECE book. May you Go as far as you want in your journeys of helping others... thank-you for sharing yourself; your love, and your caring for justice for ALL mankind... Best Wishes always!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is great to see that you built a personal bond with some of our classmates!!!!! I wish I would have done that I honestly think I shut down with attempting to build a bond when my groups would change during the classes. I look forward to seeing your name in YC!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think we have all been so fortunate to have the discussion to reflect on and to share our ideas, knowledge and understandings. The blogs were really the fun part of the entire course and the ability to express our passion. Thank you so much for your sharing your special moments, and values. Good Luck and Thank You!

    ReplyDelete