"Man does not cease to play because he grows old; Man grows old because he ceases to play."
-George Bernard Shaw

Saturday, August 10, 2013

Week 6-Adjourning


The last team of teachers that I had to leave were very special to me. We knew each other's strengths and weaknesses. We knew how to fill in when one was down and anticipate each other's needs. We didn't take long to make decisions because we were not in competition with one another. Whatever needed to be done, we could come up with ways to get it done. They protected me and I protected them. It is a special kinship when you belong to a high-performing group. The trust and commitment that is established takes time to build. It was a learning process that wasn't perfect, but one that taught us about each other and how to work together as a team.
It is always very hard for me to leave a high-performing group. We become so in sync with each other like pieces to a puzzle. It is especially difficult for me to leave a group of teachers that I have formed trusting relationships with.

The rituals I typically experience in adjourning are usually informal gatherings centered around a meal and gifts; or just warm hugs and well wishes; or team building exercises such as trusting your team to catch you when you fall backwards; and sometimes tears because we know we will not be together again. There is almost always the promise of staying in touch or reconnecting, not wanting that bond to end.

I am looking forward to ending this program. There have been aspects of my life that I have sacrificed for this program and I am ready to return to them. But, I will miss this learning environment with my colleagues. Sharing personal and professional experiences with a group of strangers has definitely taken us out of our comfort zones. Yet, we are not really strangers anymore. We have formed a culture that is built on what we have brought to this program and is made up of all of our personalities and identities. It has been inspiring and encouraging. I have learned and perhaps taught. I have trusted and entrusted. I hope to meet as many of my colleagues at graduation as possible and perhaps we will be able to say good-bye in a celebratory way. Let's PARTY ladies!!
(I was so hoping graduation was going to be in Miami, but I think ours is in Minneapolis).

In answering the question, I am not really sure how I am going to adjourn from this group. I think of us as colleagues and so I hope to leave as colleagues who will continue to network and contact each other whenever needed. I think this is a high-performing group and as Abudi (2010) contends it is likely that we will keep in touch!  



The adjourning stage is important because it provides the opportunity to reflect and to acknowledge the accomplishments of the group (O'Hair & Wiemann, 2012). This stage also provides the opportunity to open another door into future endeavors, be they work or friendship. It is a way to give closure to the relationships of the group.


Reference
Abudi, G. (2010). The five stages of team development: A case study. Retrieved from http://www.projectsmart.co.uk/the-five-stages-of-team-development-a-case-study.html

O'Hair, D., & Wiemann, M. (2012). Real communication. New York: Bedford/St. Martin's.

4 comments:

  1. Michelle,

    I shared very similar experiences to you in regards to high-performing groups and adjourning. I've also been privileged to participate in some pretty dynamic groups that left me feeling a bit more "complete." It really does feel like the group forms this complete puzzle. It was nice to read that someone else experiences a hard time adjourning from groups.
    Thanks for sharing!

    Erin

    PS - It looks like commencement will be (winter 2013) Florida, and (summer 2014) in Maryland. I'll be at the summer 2014 one. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mimi,

    I agree that it is difficult to adjourn from high performing groups where mutual trust and respect have developed and members work together toward the common goal instead of seeking individual recognition. I have enjoyed the collaborations I have had with our colleagues in this master's program. I hope that we will be able to keep in touch and that we continue to share information or offer suggestions pertaining to early childhood education.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michelle
    Thank you so much for all of your comments and support that you’ve provided over the past several weeks. I enjoyed reading both your blogs and comments. They have been inspiring and encouraging. Your comments challenged me to think and explore the topic of communication on a much deeper level. Through your support, I feel that I was able to become a better professional and communicator. Best of wishes to you in all your future endeavors.
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bronson!

    It is always a pleasure to see your name in a course, and an even greater pleasure to see it in the same group as mine! You are among the top achievers in this field and I commend you for your pursuit of excellence. You may not know, but both you and Garcia, set the standard which I strive to meet.

    These last few months, I have been so tired, and weakened by daily life and its struggles, but I push always, knowing that you guys have set the pace! Thanks for your professional contribution that has definitely impacted my life! I feel like I know you personally, because of the caliber of your work, and that speaks volumes toward your character!

    May God bless your journey, from here until the end!

    ReplyDelete