"Man does not cease to play because he grows old; Man grows old because he ceases to play."
-George Bernard Shaw

Friday, July 5, 2013

Competent Communication Wk 1

The person who instantly came to mind when I thought about competent communication was President Barack Obama. I am as far removed from politics as a person can be, yet President Obama manages to capture and hold my attention whenever he is speaking.
What I admire about his communication style is the fact that he is so engaging. He is a very eloquent speaker. He is clear, confident, and charismatic. He has a certain way of controlling words and getting his point across easily.
The presidential debates were an excellent demonstration of his ability to patiently listen and wait for his turn.
He has a certain swagger about him; he remains calm and cool, even when you know he is upset or angry.
What I would like is to have President Obama's confidence, control and charisma. I find myself listening to him even when I totally disagree with him or dislike what he is saying. I would like to be able to remain calm under pressure and maintain control over my temperament during a conversation that starts pushing my buttons.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Michelle,

    I also feel that President Barack Obama is a very effective communicator. His ability to stick to the point, and stay calm and in control, especially when he is being disrespected, is very admirable. He is very patient and is a good listener. I would definitely like to model his confidence, patience, and public speaking ability. Good post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sitting here and reading your post, I thought your right. When I was able to listen to President Barach Obama he did keep my attention and I never saw him be rude by speaking before the other person was finished. President Barach Obama did show confidence, control and charisma every time he would speak.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michelle,

    President Obama is certainly an eloquent speaker and communicator. You are certainly right - he has a way of capturing and holding the audience's attention, even if it is on a topic that many (or some) may not agree with. I think that part of being an effective communicator is being able to draw the audience in, which is what President Obama does. In addition, I also think President Obama adjusts his communication with the different groups he speaks to. I know that I understand what he is speaking to, and I have no background in political science at all. A great example!

    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  4. GREAT Choice Bronson!

    Beside listening to Presiden Obama words, his sound (voice is exception) and the best part is, with all due respect he is not bad to look at! Very pleasing to the eye!

    Another aspect I like about your president is that he not only holds the audience captive, but he inspires this hope that comes out of nowhere, he makes his hearers believe in him, what he is saying and in themselves. I guess this is another level of communication that I would love to acquire.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohhh, good one! Don't know how I managed to forget about President Obama. He indeed embodies all of the qualities of a competent communicator. I admire his ability to remain calm under pressure (even when his opponent is throwing "shade" his way). Of course, I'm "Team Obama" so my response may be a little bias, but I think many will agree with me when I say he's a well-spoken individual and has gained the "likes" of millions! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Michelle, President Obama was almost at the top of my list but I wanted to choose someone that more closely aligned with what I could envision myself doing. In the culture of politics, he does a superb job! I would like to observe him in different situations as I think he would be just as intriguing and genuine.

    ReplyDelete