"Man does not cease to play because he grows old; Man grows old because he ceases to play."
-George Bernard Shaw

Saturday, July 13, 2013

Week 3-Television Observation

I chose to watch the television program "Mad Men". This is a show I have never watched before. It is set in an advertising agency in New York in the 1960's. I believe late 1960's, but I am not sure.

In this particular episode most of the characters looked really angry or upset when communicating with someone when I had the sound off. Because I didn't have any idea of the storyline or the relationships between the characters, I found myself trying to create a story based on facial expressions, body language, style of dress; and the facial expressions and/or reactions of the characters after being spoken to or yelled at.

Since this show takes place in an advertising agency I was looking for signs to help me discern who was the boss or who had the power. I deduced that those dressed in the expensive looking suits were in power. Those who were more casually dressed I believed to be the employees. I had nothing to go on, other than my schemas from watching similar shows (O'Hair & Weimann, 2012).

I noticed the way the men sat down when talking to each other. They crossed their legs and they always made eye contact. There was something about the way certain characters held their poise that gave me the impression that they were in control and powerful. There was a lot of smoking and drinking at work in this program as well, which made characters seem powerful and in charge. (A definite throwback to another era). I wrongly assumed with the sound off that sitting close or moving closer was a sign of warmth between characters. It wasn't. They were actually threatening each other.

I watched the interactions between men and women and started trying to piece together who was having affairs or had a shady backstory and who was actually married to each other. When I watched with the sound on I was surprised at how well I guessed who was actually having affairs. The facial expressions and body language usually gave it away. What I missed entirely when the sound was off was identifying the ex-wives. Two of the male characters had ex-wives, but when they were speaking to them it looked so amicable and supportive. When I watched with the sound on I was surprised to discover they were actually speaking to their ex-wives. Here was my "aha" moment! My schemas had taught me that television "exes" don't get along. I was used to seeing anger depicted in divorced couples on television. With the sound off I saw compassion and support, so I assumed these women were secretaries, relatives, or possibly secret lovers. I thought back to our reading this week and how schemas can sometimes lead to misinformation or stereotyping (O'Hair & Weimann, 2012, p. 38). I was relying on misinformation from other television relationships.

I will admit that it was difficult watching a show I knew nothing about, with or without sound. I realized that what makes a show interesting is understanding the relationships of the characters and knowing their history or backstory. I realized that relationships are key to communication. As I watched people argue or act hostile towards someone, I didn't know who to cheer for or who to feel sorry for or whom to like or dislike. I also realized that I cannot judge people or make assumptions based on nonverbal communication. If I was watching a conversation from a distance, I am sure I would misjudge the non-verbal behavior to some extent.

Reference
O'Hair, D., & Weiman, M. (2012) Real communication. New York: Bedford/St. Martin's.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Mimi,
    I couldn't resist peeking at your post. Great observations skills to pick out who was having an affair with who. Ah the good old days, smoking and drinking at work! This was a very interesting exercise, so much meaning is in the verbal communication.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mimi,

    I agree that people should not judge or make assumptions based only on nonverbal communication. In order to fully understand a situation, effectively listening and verbal communication is also necessary. I have never seen Mad Men, but it sounds interesting by what you have described. I watched a show that is a comedy, It seems that watching a drama with the sound off is a bit more challenging.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was a interesting assignment that we had to do this week. I found that through this assignment, it made me more aware that I really don't watch a show to the full extent. I am usually cleaning or working on something while listening to a show. Once I watch a show without sound it was interesting learning the relationships that the characters showed. I have seen Mad Men and if I had to watch it without sound I don't think I would have picked up who was cheating with whom. Great observation and thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree it is interesting to watch a show for the first time. The fact that we had to watch it with no sound initially and then with sound, make it even more interesting. I found that it is easier to see the non-verbal communication and the relationships between characters and how well they feel toward each other. I also agree with you that it is hard to judge when there is no sound. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete