"Man does not cease to play because he grows old; Man grows old because he ceases to play."
-George Bernard Shaw

Friday, May 24, 2013

Perspectives on Diversity and Culture

I emailed two of my professional acquaintances and I spoke with one of my colleagues at the center.
I asked them each for their definition of culture and diversity. Here is what I learned:
  • Culture is what a person believes in and values. As educators, it is important that we respect the beliefs of others and share in their values.
  • Culture is a person's traditions, customs, and lifestyle.
  • Culture is part of a person's race and how they were raised. It includes their food, clothing, and language.We work with families of different cultures and learn how to respect what they believe and how they live.
  • Diversity is the differences in a group of people. Being in a diverse group of people means being with many people from all races and colors.
  • Diversity means mixed races and abilities. Classrooms and workplaces are beginning to represent people from all over the world and some people may be handicapped, in wheelchairs, blind, autistic, etc. A diverse population is inclusive.
  • Diversity is how we see ourselves and others and all of our differences.
I think that defining diversity proved to be more difficult than defining culture. All three defined diversity as a term used to describe disability or races.
The aspects of culture and diversity that I have studied, which are included in these answers are race, beliefs, values, lifestyle, food, language, clothing, how we see ourselves in the world, and abilities.
 Some of the aspects omitted were gender, sexual orientation, religion, and socioeconomic status.
I think in discussing the definitions with others I really realized how much we only think of surface culture.
I am influenced by these responses to really consider a person's differences and culture on a deeper level, rather than what I can see.I think my work with children and families must involve getting to know people for who they are and how they feel about their place in the world.
Before our readings this week, I had never thought about culture as how we see ourselves in the world.
I am not sure how I see myself in the entire world, but in each part of my world I see myself through my various identities. I want others to see me as a person who cares about others and is willing to help, without being asked.

4 comments:

  1. Michelle,
    I enjoyed reading your post and the responses in which your colleagues gave. I agree that most of the time we do look at culture as only a surface thing and forget to look at culture on a more deeper level. I believe that once we all do that, then we truly be able to appreciate all the differences and cultures in the world. Culture in depth will one day serve a teaching tool for all, but once again thanks for sharing your post and good luck to you!!!


    Sha'Keema

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mimi,
    I discovered the same as you, how we tend to only look at the surface culture. I too have never looked into or had to describe my culture in such depth, the important point you made is how you would like people to view you, who you really are. Thanks for great insight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Bronson,
    Hope you were having a great week! I enjoyed your post this week. especially enjoyed how you were sure to include how these persons spoke specifically to educators and matters that concern education. I am so impressed with the point of view of which you brought to the post this week. Great job! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mimi, I really enjoyed your response for this week's blog. It was not only informative but caught my attention, "I had never thought of culture as how we see ourselves in the world", this is so true.

    ReplyDelete