"Man does not cease to play because he grows old; Man grows old because he ceases to play."
-George Bernard Shaw

Saturday, June 30, 2012

Well, I'm still up working.
It's a new month.
I have everything done that needed to be done.  I think.
Reflecting back on my week:  Surviving this past week is nothing short of a miracle.
I had to put together an entire preschool graduation--alone.  That means I had to edit through pictures of 23 children and put together a slideshow for each. I put together memory books for each child.  I designed pillows with each of the children, then bagged them in special bags that took two weeks to find.  I wrote individual poems for each child.  I bought all of the food, decorations, created the programs and certificates, taught them songs to sing, decorated the two rooms, organized, coordinated, dressed half of them, then I hosted the whole program and I forgot to write a speech, the list is endless.
I then had to try and complete my assignments for this class. That would start around 1:00 a.m. I would become so frustrated with myself as I tried to submit them.  I can read.  Yet, I struggled with submissions.  I would end up going to bed at three in the morning or not at all.  I have to be at work by 6:30 a.m.
There were other work related stresses-two of my co-teachers will be fired next week.  I cry every time I think about it.
I had three parent-teacher conferences.
Now, I have absolutely no power.  There was a huge storm.  We had power throughout the entire storm.  We had power in the morning.  Then I went to the store.  I bought ice-cream.  I got home and the power was off.
Panic set in.  I had all of today set for studying.  I wanted to be completely relaxed and unhurried when i read through the posts and when I wrote my blog.  Instead I couldn't. No power.
I went to the school and to my office.  We had power, but the phone lines were down.  That means no broadband. i drove all the way back home with tears.  i just wanted to do my assignments.
My husband got the generator working and I was happy until I realized I couldn't submit my assignments properly.  My link wouldn't turn blue.
But, I'm not blue.  I'll get through this like I always do.
Keeping my head up.

3 comments:

  1. No one could help you with the slide show!? That is some outstanding work to have to compile everything. I also made pillow cases for 2 of the children at work who were leaving! And I have a collection of photos that I've taken of each child throughout the years (since i'm in the youngest room) to scrap book when they graduate to kindergarten. So far I've only actually made one, since many parents needs change and they leave prematurely. Even if two of your coworkers are leaving, remember that others should be there to help support you and your efforts! I often am asked by my boss to help with graduation, or I keep the stuff/ideas afterward, and give it back every year for ideas, they have horrible organization. We make wishlist sometimes for parents every month, asking for cups, or paper plates. Even at low incomes, you may find parents want to help in little ways, that also help you cut costs and not interfere too much. This can be done weeks in advance, just stockpile things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lauren,
    My co-teachers are motivated by: I come to work, swipe in, swipe out, go home. Whatever happens in the middle...well. It is important to me that anything that has my name on it is reflective of me. I will not do half of a job, it has to be professional, and high quality. Too often those I am surrounded by take a "good enough" position. For example, the pillow cases are of a khaki canvas color. The zipper has white thread. One of the zippers broke as the children were helping me stuff them. I asked my co-teacher (who used to sew for a living) if she could fix it. She brought the pillow to me later with a wad of black thread sewn over the zipper. She said, "Oh, here's the pillow, I didn't have white thread, but this should be okay. It's good enough."
    No, it was not okay. The other pillows had white. Why should that one have a sloppy wad of black thread? I told her no, it was not good enough and I would find someone else to do it properly. She laughed and told me don't worry she would fix it, she had white thread at home.
    Why would she rush and make a mess? She had three days to fix that pillow.
    As for stockpiling. I usually start in February selecting pictures for the eventual slideshow. Each child has a slideshow of all of their memories and music based on that child's unique personality.
    My co-teachers do not know how to use a computer, do not drive, always say they are too broke to chip in, sloppily do things, etc. etc.
    My parents are well-off and I have a budget and don't mind coming out of my own pocket.
    The issue during this time of year is simply it should be three people doing the work that I do alone.
    I'm not bitter, but fortunately, this is the last year I will have any involvement in graduation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear of all the trouble you had this past week. When things seem to just keep on pouring down, I feel as though Gods asking me, "Are you sure this is what you want?" You are here and you got it done with excellence, so I say you answered that question with a cheerful Heck YEA! Good for you.

    ReplyDelete