"Man does not cease to play because he grows old; Man grows old because he ceases to play."
-George Bernard Shaw

Saturday, January 18, 2014

Communities of Practice

Maryland Association for the Education of Young Children (MDAEYC)
The first organization that appealed to me is my local affiliation chapter of the National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC), MDAEYC. The reason why I chose this organization is because I feel they do exceptional work for and with the early childhood professionals in my state. There are always opportunities to work with other professionals in my area and discuss common problems that are sometimes relative only to the state of Maryland or my specific county.  The mission statement of this organization is very inspirational to me as an adult educator: "To empower those who care for and educate young children." It is also a good source for what is happening in the field and in the community. They are very hands-on when it comes to advocacy and public policy. There are always opportunities to get involved with public officials and fight for children and families.

Working at MDAEYC is mostly voluntary, which would be a great way for me to explore advocacy and public policy.

Family Services, Inc.
I chose Family Services, Inc. because of the services they offer the community, schools, children, and families. Family Services is committed to supporting the needs of families in Montgomery County, Md. through early childhood, educational, clinical, and behavioral health programs. They support children and teenagers struggling with substance abuse and mental health issues. They support teachers in the classroom and build relationships between home and school. They also provide training and workshops for early childhood teachers.
This organization provides valuable social services to residents who otherwise would not have access to  counseling and therapy. The therapists and trainers have been very beneficial to my work in supporting teachers and children in the classroom with behavioral and learning issues.

Positions within this organization that interest me:

Early Childhood Trainers-Master's Degree in Early Childhood; Completed the Train the Trainers Course and Orientation; experience working with children 0-8 years old; knowledge of child development and best practices.

Available position:
Residential Advocate-provides support at facility serving women and children who are fleeing domestic violence. Duties include assistance with intake and orientation to shelter life, recreational activities, food service, transportation and facility upkeep. 
Qualifications: High school graduation or equivalency and two years experience in relevant program area. Oral fluency in Spanish language preferred, Must have valid driver’s license and availability for evening and weekend shifts. Must be able to lift 30 pounds, stand, sit, stoop, bend at the waist and knees and possess overall body flexibility. 

Maryland Family Network

The mission of this organization is to ensure that young children and their families have resources to learn and succeed. They provide programs to promote high quality child care, family support and services. They have taken initiative to develop a statewide, comprehensive system of support for pregnant women, children (birth-5yrs), their families and caregivers. This is my go to organization for early childhood resources.

They are currently looking for a Director, Baltimore City Child Care Resource Center, which I find very interesting.
The requirements for this job include:
• Bachelor's Degree in Early Childhood Education or related field; Master's preferred;
• Minimum of 10 years progressively more responsible experience in early childhood education, program management, and supervision;
• Strong communication and marketing skills in one-on-one settings, in large, diverse group settings of public and private entities, and in all situations in between;
• Knowledge of child development and the profession of child care;
• Proven ability to recruit, train, and supervise staff;


For more information, please visit:
http://www.mdaeyc.org/
http://marylandfamilynetwork.org/
http://www.familyservicesagency.org/index.html





7 comments:

  1. Hello Michelle,
    It looks like you were able to find a great amount of job listing opportunities. I think that sometimes the bigger the city the better changes there are for finding the type of job offering one hopes for. If I was not so in love in the town in which I reside I certainly would consider your town. I especially would considered the Family Service Inc. Have you got your mind on any of the listing in which you have posted on your blog? In any case I wish you success on whatever or wherever you choose...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello,

    I also chose a place that works with families. I think it is very important for organizations to run to the community. I think it is important for them to work with families and children to become better. Good luck to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mimi,
    I think you would be amazing as a Director of a Childcare Resource Center. The wide variety of courses in our this program seems very well suited to a variety of early childhood issues. Plus your experiences in past jobs as well as your volunteer work would make you such an asset. Do you have a preference?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michelle,
    The MDAEYC sounds just like my state of Kentucky where I live. The Kentucky Association for Early Childhood Education is an off branch of the NAEYC. Looking more into the NAEYC I never knew that they had off branches for each state.
    Thanks for sharing,
    Nina

    ReplyDelete
  5. During my search of local and state organizations I was ecstatic at the number of organizations that are out there. Although homeless families or families in poverty may not have access to computers or the knowledge to seek organizations that exist I would hope to work out in the field to reach out to families through shelters, food banks and local thrift shops and do what I could one on one with families.

    ReplyDelete
  6. thank you about the information from NAEYC but your home chapter. I like you would love to participate on some level with this organization. I think that they are great.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Michelle,
    I like how your blog is neatly organized and enjoyed reading the resources you shared. I am drawn to the job posting in The Council for Exceptional Children. Thank you for sharing this resource. I have an endorsement in Special Education and have never practiced it because I am not so sure I am ready to work with these special needs children. Once I do, I want to be fully prepared and to do any less would be a disservice. I think these webpage you share will help me tremendously, thank you!

    ReplyDelete